No matter what women are doing online, the internet troll is certainly not far behind. Our friends from Reductress (Beth Newell & Sarah Pappalardo) are here to highlight just a few different species of troll and how to handle an encounter in the wild.
- October 03, 2017
- 370k Views
DIRECTOR: Kelly Hudson
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Kate Lilly
PRODUCER: Hans Sahni
PRODUCTION COORDINATOR: Puloma Basu
DP: Matt Sweeney
PRODUCTION DESIGNER: John Flores
GRIP: Danny Rosenberg
HMU: Connor Susi
SOUND: Alex Dawson
EDITOR: Danielle Billeaux
October 03, 2017
- I'm Beth.
- And I'm Sarah.
- And we're the editors of Reductress.
We at Reductress see the same types
of trolling behavior over and over again online.
- So we're going to share some of the most common types
of trolls you might deal with on the internet,
and some helpful tips on how to deal with them.
- First, the guy who swears he wouldn't fuck you.
- This is the guy who wants you to know you're
very unfuckable and he would not fuck you
even if you begged him to.
- For this type of troll, you need to be firm
and deescalate the situation.
So try something like, actually it's "you're" not "your."
And then we have one of the most prevalent kinds of trolls,
the all caps troll.
- This is the troll who, well you get it.
- Take your time and respond calmly with something like...
- Words, words, words, words.
Or do you wanna go to a Kid Rock concert with me?
Now for one of the seemingly harmless trolls,
the re-explaining your point troll.
- Here's something you might say online.
- And here's how he re-explains what you just said.
Honestly, he made a really good point.
- And then of course, there's the guy
who literally wants you to die because your a woman.
- So after you report him to Twitter and the cops
and they do nothing about it, here's how to respond.
- Wait, are you sure?
Harsh, but fair.
Or, oh my god, literally dying.
- Last but not least, there's the actually troll,
also known as the never ending debater.
This is the guy who can't stop correcting you
and is in the process of writing a 50,000 word memoir
about why you're wrong.
- Wow, how do you even get a word in
when this troll is so full of facts?
Try something like, oh my god, thank you for your service.
Are you sure?
Or, send him all of your nudes, even the bad ones.
- He deserves them.
- So give these a try and you can happily troll
the next troll that comes your way.
- We believe in you.